News: in Spring `15 I am teaching INFO I400/590 Mining the Social Web at Indiana University!
My research falls at the boundary between these fields:
Scientific community service:
Lead Editor of the thematic series on Collective Behaviors and Networks of EPJ Data Science.
Co-organizer of CRIMENET 2014, the First Workshop on Criminal Network Analysis and Mining, co-located with SocInfo 2014!
Co-organizer of Connecting Online & Offline Life (COOL 2014), a workshop of the 23rd International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2014) held in Seoul, Korea on April 8, 2014!
Co-organizer of Computational Approaches to Social Modeling (ChASM 2014), a workshop of ACM Web Science 2014!
Local Chair & Sponsor Chair of ACM Web Science 2014 that took place in Bloomington (IN – US), on June, 23rd-26th 2014!
Publicity co-chair of SocInfo 2014 that took place in Barcelona (Spain), on November, 10-13th 2014!
I joined the Program Committee of ICWSM15, WWW15, SocInfo14, ICWSM14, WWW14, and SocialCom14!
I am a co-organizer of Collective Behaviors and Networks (COVEnANT 2013), a satellite event co-located with ECCS 2013! It took place in beautiful Barcelona (Spain), on September, 16-20th 2013!
I’m a regular reviewer for the following journals: ACM Transactions on Information Systems, ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, Complex Adaptive Systems Modeling, EPJ Data Science, Entropy, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Knowledge-based systems, Network Science, PLoS One, Physica A, Social Network Analysis and Mining and The Computer Journal.
Spring 2014/15: INFO I400:590 Mining the Social Web (at Indiana University, Bloomington, US)
Fall 2013: INFO-I601 “Introduction to Complex Systems” (Guest Lecturer at Indiana University, Bloomington, US)
Spring 2013: INFO-I690 “Topics in Informatics: Mathematical Methods for Complex Systems” (Guest Lecturer at Indiana University, Bloomington, US)
Programming: C, C++, Java, .NET; Scripting: Python, Bash; Data analysis: R, Scipy, Numpy; Machine learning: SciKit-Learn, Weka; Visualization: Gnuplot, Matplotlib, GGPlot2; Network analysis: Gephi, Network Workbench; Versioning: SVN, Git; DBMS: MySQL, MS SQL; Web: ASP.NET, HTML/CSS; Typesetting: LaTeX; IDE: Eclipse, Visual Studio, IPython Notebook; Data Science: I am ranked as top 0.5% Kaggler competitor and participated to multiple data science competitions (my Kaggle profile)
- Visiting Scholar at Royal Holloway University of London, at the Paccanaro Lab (Centre for Systems and Synthetic Biology) working with Dr. Alberto PaccanaroJanuary – February 2012, London, UK
- PhD Candidate at University of Messina, Department of Mathematics, under the supervision of Dr. Giacomo Fiumara.December 2008 – March 2012, Messina, Italy
- Visiting PhD Student at Royal Holloway University of London, at the Paccanaro Lab (Centre for Systems and Synthetic Biology) under the supervision of Dr. Alberto PaccanaroSeptember – December 2011, London, UK
- Visiting PhD Student at Vienna University of Technology and at the Lixto GmbH under the supervision of Dr. Robert BaumgartnerFebruary – May 2010, Vienna, Austria
Recently Accepted Papers (2014)
- A Nematzadeh, E Ferrara, A Flammini, YY Ahn.
Optimal Network Modularity for Information Diffusion.
Physical Review Letters 113:088701, 2014.
- E Ferrara, P De Meo, S Catanese, and G Fiumara.
Detecting criminal organizations in mobile phone networks.
Expert Systems with Applications 41(13):5733-5750, 2014.
- P De Meo, E Ferrara, G Fiumara, and A Provetti.
On Facebook, most ties are weak.
Communications of the ACM 57(11), 2014.
- P De Meo, E Ferrara, G Fiumara, and A Provetti.
Mixing local and global information for community detection in large networks.
Journal of Computer and System Sciences 80(1):72-87, 2014.
- S Agreste, P De Meo, E Ferrara, and D Ursino.
XML Matchers: approaches and challenges.
Knowledge-based systems 66: 190-209, 2014.
- S Agreste, P De Meo, E Ferrara, S Piccolo, and A Provetti.
Analysis of a heterogeneous social network of humans and cultural objects.
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems, 2014.
- P De Meo, E Ferrara, D Rosaci, and G Sarné.
Trust and Compactness of Social Network Groups.
IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics PP:99, 2014.
- E Ferrara, P De Meo, G Fiumara, and R Baumgartner.
Web data extraction, applications and techniques: a survey.
Knowledge-based Systems 70:301-323, 2014.
- E Ferrara, R Interdonato, and A. Tagarelli.
Online Popularity and Topical Interests through the Lens of Instagram.
ACM Hypertext 2014
- O Varol, E Ferrara, C Ogan, F Menczer, and A Flammini.
Evolution of online user behavior during a social upheaval.
ACM Web Science 2014 – Best Paper Award!
- P Moriano, E Ferrara, A Flammini, F Menczer.
Dissemination of scholarly literature in social media.
- E Ferrara, P De Meo, S Catanese, G Fiumara.
Visualizing criminal networks reconstructed from mobile phone records.
Students I co-supervise(d) and collaborate with
Fall 2014 (@IU)
Twitter related projects
Onur Varol, Prashant Shiralkar, Zeyao Yang, Lei Li, Jaehyuk Park
Scientific products/impact related projects
Jasleen Kaur, Qing Ke
Summer 2014 (@IU)
Jasleen Kaur, Rachael Fulper, Pablo Moriano, Alex Barron, Qing Ke, Ajinkya Awchat, Zeyao Yang, Prashant Shiralkar
Spring 2014 (@IU)
Jasleen Kaur, Azadeh Nematzadeh, Mohsen Jafariasbagh, Onur Varol, Rachael Fulper, Pablo Moriano, Alex Barron, Qing Ke
Fall 2013 (@IU)
Jasleen Kaur, Azadeh Nematzadeh, Mohsen Jafariasbagh, Onur Varol, Rachael Fulper, Pablo Moriano, Alex Barron
Summer 2013 (@IU)
Azadeh Nematzadeh, Mohsen Jafariasbagh, Bryce K. Lewis, Kehontas Rowe
The datasets adopted in my research on Social Networks are available on request.
The WERW-Kpath algorithm to compute the Kpath Edge Centrality has been released.
The CONCLUDE community detection algorithm has been released.